on to something a little more serious than hockey…

Since the Canuckleheads lost Game 1 of the second series, I think it would be a good idea to get back to my ‘one-liner’ sermon summaries. Here is the month of March:

03/04/07 10:00a 11:00a
The Living Hope Under Fire (1 Pt 3.8-4.19)

The will of God for the Christian under pressure is the same as the will of God for the Christian without pressure: ‘well doing’ [1 Pt 4.19].

03/04/07 11:30a 12:15p
The Living Hope in the Care of Elders (1 Pt 5)

The care of the flock by faithful elders ensures its endurance under attack.

03/04/07 1:15p 2:15p
Peter’s Last Will and Testament (2 Pt 1-3)

The major theme of this epistle is spiritual growth. The soul’s answer to error is spiritual growth.

03/07/07 7:00p 8:00p
The Need of the Hour (2 Tim 1-3)

Christians have a responsibility to commit to memory the truths of the Word of God for the purpose of perpetuating the Christian faith in others.

03/11/07 10:00a 11:00a
Paul’s Last Will and Testament (2 Tim 4)

Paul’s will for Timothy? Dedication, commitment, endurance.

03/11/07 11:30a 12:15p
The Captain of Your Salvation (Heb 1-2)

Jesus Christ is the highest being in the universe, you must listen to him.

03/11/07 1:15p 2:15p
There Remaineth Yet a Rest (Heb 3-4)

There is a risk of real loss to those who go back on Christ – they exchange the superior for the inferior, they risk the real loss of God’s blessing.

03/15/07 7:00p 8:00p
Our Great High Priest (Heb 5-7)

The work of God in elevating the Son to the role of eternal High Priest is perfectly fitted to the needs of faltering saints.

03/18/07 10:00a 11:00a
The Superior Sacrifice (Heb 8-10)

Major thesis of Hebrews: Everything is better about Christ – don’t go back
· A better revelation (1-2)
· A better rest (3-4)
· A better priest (5-7)
Now we are going to concern ourselves with the better ministry of the priest.

03/18/07 11:30a 12:15p
Life of Faith (Heb 11-13)

From Warren Weirsbe: “True Bible faith is confident obedience to God’s Word in spite of circumstances and consequences.” [Wiersbe, W. W. (1996, c1989). The Bible exposition commentary. “An exposition of the New Testament comprising the entire ‘BE’ series”–Jkt. (Heb 11:1). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.]

03/18/07 1:15p 2:15p
Earnestly Contend for the Faith (Jude)

The fundamentalist manifesto: earnestly contend. [very sparse notes]

03/21/07 7:00p 8:00p
Behold the Lamb of God – 1 (Jn 1-2)

Jesus introduced to the world, Behold the Lamb of God.

03/25/07 10:00a 11:00a
For God So Loved the World (Jn 3-4)

The God who loved the world loves you.

03/25/07 11:30a 12:15p
The Christ of Controversy (Jn 5-7)

When a man has a controversy with Jesus Christ, the man must yield.

03/25/07 1:15p 2:15p
I am the Light of the World (Jn 8-9)

The light of the world makes blind eyes see.

03/28/07 7:00p 8:00p
The Good Shepherd (Jn 10-11)

The words of Christ are life to those who live; they are death to those who die.

I am mainly doing this to make the notes avaiable and give a complete record of our work in this series. Sometime in the summer we hope to have a dvd with all the notes, all the study guides, and all the audio.

Regards,
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3

Comments

1. Jerry Bouey says:

Bro. Don, still enjoying your sermon outlines. Wanted to bring this to your attention:

In sermon #067 The Utter Depravity of Man – Rm 1.18-3.20, you have:

III. The Scripture proof of human depravity (3.10-20)
    A. The devastating word of God (10-18)…
    5. Their feet are swift to shed blood (15-17, cf. Is 51.7ff.)

Should be Isaiah 59:7ff

(I couldn’t find an email address so I posted it here and figured you could delete the comment afterwards.)
    God bless.

2. Don Johnson says:

Jerry,

Thank you for the correction. I occasionally find these as I preach them… it is especially disconcerting to be looking for a passage and having typed in the wrong reference!!! I feel like a fish out of water.

I am in SC tonight, working at Kinkos – my son is getting married tomorrow and I am printing out my last minute ‘tweaks’ to the ceremony.

I will post a corrected outline when I return home in a week and a half.

Thanks for the tip.